Monday, May 28, 2012

Contemplating Permaculture

Contemplating Permaculture

This week we talk about permaculture, tomato watering and Memorial Day.



"Permaculture is a branch of ecological design and ecological engineering which develops sustainable human settlements and self-maintained agricultural systems modeled from natural ecosystems." Well, so says Wikipedia. Basically, I understand permaculture as being a landscape, big or small, that is a "wind-up-and-go" ego system. You wind it up and let it go for a time before it need a little more winding. There may be some directional changes, but for the most part, once it's established, it will go and go for generations (if not forever).

Lately, I have been listening and reading about  preparing for a "time of need." What if we can not get down to the store and get seeds and seedlings? What if there is no place to get seeds or seedlings anywhere? What will we do? If there ever comes a time where we can't get seeds or seedlings, then the grocery stores will be void of produce as well. Sure, you could get a seed bank from some manufacturer but who's going to be around to complain if you ever have to actually use the seed bank if none of the seeds spout?? Practice makes perfect (that's a whole other show topic).

We have two options: 1. Save seeds and 2. Establish an ego system that is self sustaining and required much less human intervention.

Saving Seeds

I have always wanted to do more seed saving but never have. Maybe it's because I have no knowledge base for the skill. That's the root cause. I know why I have never saved seeds: FEAR. I have the fear that I will go through all the trouble of saving seeds, storing the seeds and planting the seeds only to find that NOTHING HAS GERMINATED and I have a garden void of produce.

However, I must have forgotten my motto: "If someone else can do it, so can I!" So, recently I have noticed a few things happening around the homestead that has impressed me and got me to thinking (dangerous I know). Seedlings are popping up all over the place from last year's garden. If after two tillings and pilling up of the soil in mounded rows seeds from Swiss Chard and Tomatoes are coming up, then maybe I can do this seed saving thing and save some money. Likewise, seeds that come from plants on the homestead here will make better plants next year here on the homestead and get stronger each year subsequently.

Permaculture

My homestead is not so far from a permaculture system as I think. The rows are absent of permaculture as are the beds that the tomatoes and squash are planted in. Here's what I think I will dream of and learn about: What if there could be created a system where plants are gown in areas (bed-like areas) with other plants that do well growing together (like tomatoes and carrots)? Each year, the plants are allowed to grow, offer their harvest (though not completely harvested), and die naturally. Seeds are saved. Around the time where seeds will be started on the inside, the saved seeds are planted in the protection of indoors or a greenhouse. Then, after the season begins and the volunteers are starting to break ground, an inventory is taken and the seedlings are reinforced with seedlings we grew indoors or in the greenhouse.

We could create a food forest where veggies are gown under the bows of the trees like spinach, greens and kale. Heck, we may even let the dandelions grow a bit. If we notice too many grasshoppers or slugs, we'll change our paradigm and see too many of these critters as an ego system lacking ducks or turkeys. Hummmm???

Anyway, I have just been doing some thinking and reading and studying and dreaming. We'll keep you up to date with the goings on around here on the Walker Homestead. In the mean time, here are a few links that will help:

Black Solider Fly Harvesting:

http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

This link is where I got the idea for the Black Solder Fly harvester bucket. This is a GREAT site and FULL of information.

Tomato Watering With PVC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUbfpkNEslw

This is by a fellow named Donald. You should check out his channel (but don't forget about us here).

This link is one that will get the gears in your head turning all over the place!!!

http://permaculture.org.au/

Finally, here are some other links that you'll find helpful:

2 comments:

  1. Lovastatin combined cholangiocarcinoma cell line QBC939 KRN633 on biological behavior of

    Objective To study the lovastatin (Lovastatin) combined with vascular endothelial growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor (KRN633) on human cholangiocarcinoma cell line QBC939 growth, migration, apoptosis, and other biological behavior.

    Methods tetrazolium salt (MTT) assay the role of various drug concentrations 24 h, 48 h, 72 h after cell proliferation; inverted microscope morphological changes; cell apoptosis was detected by flow cytometry; experimental observation of cell migration cell scratch the ability to change; RT-PCR assay before and after drug myeloid leukemia -1 (Mcl-1), a serine / threonine protein kinase B (Akt), tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand body (TRAIL), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression.

    Results lovastatin, KRN633 QBC939 significantly inhibited cell proliferation (P <0.01) in a concentration - time-dependent, lovastatin joint KRN633 synergistic inhibitory effect (F = 8.85, P <0.05). Drugs can be observed QBC939 cells showed morphological changes of apoptosis; flow cytometry showed that apoptosis was significantly increased (37.5 ± 1.92%, 32.14 ± 1.30% vs. 11.23 ± 1.26%, F = 250.04, P <0.01). Combination group cells 24 h, 48 h average migration rate slowed down (respectively 1.21 ± 0.68 and 1.52 ± 0.19, P <0.05). Proliferation, apoptosis, migration-related genes Mcl-1, Akt, VEGF mRNA expression was significantly lower than the control group (P <0.05).

    Conclusion Lovastatin inhibits cholangiocarcinoma cell proliferation, migration and induce apoptosis, combined with KRN633 synergistic inhibitory effect.


    Medchemexpress Can provide the above product,its website:www.medchemexpress.com



    BAY 61-3606 dihydrochloride
    E-3810
    BAY 61-3606
    Cabozantinib S-malate
    Pazopanib
    Axitinib
    OSI-930
    Cediranib
    MP470
    Motesanib Diphosphate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know if you would be interested in my case.Here is Dr Itua Contact Information,drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or www.drituaherbalcenter.com He talks on Whatsapp too.
    I was treated for Hepatitis C genotype 2 commencing on january 14, 2017. I was treated with Dr Itua Herbal Medicine which he prepared and send to me Via EMS Courier service and I received it @ Ohio Post Office .I drank for two weeks as he instructed me to and I was cured.Just in two weeks,Isn’t that joyful.yes i’m happy and my heart fills with joy.
    I carry a high risk of Lymphoma relapse due to constant exposure to the hepatitis C virus.
    In order for me to have the maximum chance of a cure from my Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Hepatitis C must be treated in a timely manner or my life hangs in jeopardy. Dr Itua made my life meaningful again.And to my friend Nicky who directed me to Dr itua herbal center i forever indebted to you my dear friend.Doctor Itua Assured me he can as well cured the following disease,HIV,COPD,DIABETES,HERPES VIRUS,HEPATITIS,

    ReplyDelete