Sunday, May 20, 2012

Growing Duckweed and Harvesting the Lawn

Growing Duckweed and Harvesting the Lawn


Harvesting the Grass


Many homesteaders, preppers and folks like me keep a lawn. Yes, we get out with our gas-guzzling, noise-making, lawn mower and cut our grass as we attempt to "emulated aristocratic society with our own small, rural and semi-rural homesteads." Well, I think that's a bunch of hooey! I don't mow my lawn; I harvest my grass. There are many, many uses for the grass we harvest from our non-agricultural areas of our homesteads. Here's what I use my harvested grass for:

1. Thatch for weed control
2. Chicken Food
3. Composting
4. Worm bedding
5. Seedling padding
6. Moisture Control
7. Chicken bedding

Our lawns also keep much of our homesteads in reserve. What I mean is: if we did not have grass growing on the areas we did not grow our vegetables on, weeds would gladly take over. Additionally, the growing grass keeps the soil's ego system in check. It maintains moisture and is home for worms, good bacteria and fungi. Don't let these die-hard preppers and homesteaders tell you that a lawn is a worthless bunch of grass that we waste time and money in growing. Just tell them that you are growing grass just like you'd grow duckweed, bamboo, roses or any other plant. Tell them, "I don't mow my lawn; I harvest my grass."

Growing Duckweed


This week I started growing duckweed. I don't have any idea if it will work. You see, I am not using fish in my duckweed tank; I am using cow poop! Yes, you read that right...COW Poo Poo! (excuse the boldness). Here's what I am trying to do: I want to see if I can create a sustainable method of growing duckweed as to be able to have greens to feed my chickens well into the winter and to supplement their summer diet. Here's a little bit of information about duckweed:

1. Contains 15-25% protein in a natural environment and 15-45% when cultured under ideal conditions.
2. Duckweed is a feed for fish, poultry, livestock.
3. Duckweed grows on 10% the area needed for soyabeans, and 20% that of corn. Because it has such low fibre, the whole plant can be used, unlike other crops where only a small part of the plant can be eaten.
4. By absorbing nutrients, Duckweed also has potential as a natural water purifier, converting waste water and sewage into pure water and edible Duckweed with little resulting sludge.
5. Spread on our gardens as a natural fertilizer.
6. Duckweed contains more protein than soybeans.

Now, let's consider two things when we are growing duckweed on our homestead:

1. Stink from the water it is being grown in.
2. Mosquitoes

Here's my solution for the smell that may be generated:

Use a small fish aquarium pump with an air stone to oxygenate the water your duckweed is growing in. This will kill off the anaerobic bacteria (the smelly stuff) and build up the aerobic bacteria (the earthy-smelling stuff). The drawback is the bubbles may create a current and duckweed likes a water surface that is still.

Here's my solution to the mosquitoes:

BT or Bacillus thuringiensis. This is cool gift that the Good Lord has given us homesteaders. Bacillus thuringiensis is a bacteria...a natural bacteria...that will kill bugs that we don't want but will not harm us, animals, fish, or the good bugs that eat the bad bugs. I am even thinking about growing BT in my compost tea (a show for next week...maybe).

About the Garden


This is the time of year where I anxiously wait for the seeds to break ground. I am having trouble with these 2 and 3 year old soaker hoses and am wanting to CHANGE EVERYTHING!

Here's some links to more information:



3 comments:

  1. Hi Sulae ,
    I am interested in growing duckweed too , I am growing it using 2 different methods .
    The first one which appear to be working is aquaponic , although I am facing algae problem but I think my duckweed will deal with this problem .
    The second method is kind of hydroponic , I am using urea , potash and phosphate , but it is not working properly , I need to read more about this method , I think I should aerate the water and may be replace some of the water every now and then .
    I need to know how your experiment is working.
    Thanks
    Asaad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed your videos; they are well made; entertaining and informative. Looking forward to seeing more. ( Makes me want to get some land out in the country... )

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tivozanib as RCC first-line treatment of drug

    The concern may be used as first-line treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC) drugs Tivozanib called TiVo-1 of the Phase III clinical study results will be announced in the first quarter of 2012. Tivozanib is an oral for all three vascular endothelial growth factor receptor inhibitors. Tivozanib in advanced RCC patients treated with disease progression-free survival (PFS) in Phase II clinical studies of up to 11.7 months, by nephrectomy in patients with renal cell carcinoma, Tivozanib treatment PFS was 14.8 months. The current the RCC first-line therapy developed by Pfizer sunitinib malate Nigeria (sunitinib malate, Sutent) in de novo renal clear cell RCC PFS was 11 months. At the same time, the safety evaluation study found with other vascular endothelial growth factor receptor inhibitor therapy compared tivozanib significantly reduce non-target toxicity. Insulin III is expected major adverse reaction www.051jk.com/yiyao/show/75562.html of clinical drug results in 2012 submitted a new drug application will support this product.

    Tivozanib jointly developed by AVEO Pharmaceuticals and Astellas Pharma, 1 week ago the two companies jointly issued the TIVO-1 trial progress. The report said Tivozanib positive result is obtained in the Phase III clinical trials, the test terminal point target renal cell carcinoma patients without disease progression-free survival better than the control group drug sorafenib.


    Medchemexpress Can provide the above product,its website:www.medchemexpress.com



    BAY 61-3606 dihydrochloride
    E-3810
    BAY 61-3606
    Cabozantinib S-malate
    Pazopanib
    Axitinib
    OSI-930
    Cediranib
    MP470
    Motesanib Diphosphate

    ReplyDelete